Date: 10/30/20 1:47 pm
From: sandy leaptrott <sandyleapt...>
Subject: [obol] Thayer's or Herring Gull?

Hi All,

I'd like some help identifying a gull. Below is a link to the photos.

Two days ago I was watching this gull and some American Crows feasting on a dead salmon along the banks of the Sandy River. I took a lot of photos from quite a ways away. I spent yesterday with books and pictures on the internet and finally decided to list it on ebird as a Thayer's Gull. Now I'm having second thoughts, mostly because of the head and beak shape. I can almost see this bird frowning.

I would appreciate it some of you would look at the photos and let me know what you think. I just don't have much opportunity to study gulls, I'm hoping the ID is obvious to someone who spends time with gulls. I don't want to muddy eBird data with a misidentified bird.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S75534491

Thanks for any help,

Sandy Leaptrott
NE Portland