Date: 10/30/20 11:40 am
From: Osness <ravenbuddhanow...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Saylorville Lake on Friday
When I arrived at the east pull-out on the top of the Saylorville Dam this
morning there was a Merlin perched on a sign post. How nice! I saw a dozen
Common Loons from the dam, bust not much else. At the ponds below the dam
there was the usual groups of pelicans and gulls. But there was also an
Osprey and 62 Hooded Mergansers! That may be more Hooded Mergansers than I
have seen in my entire lifetime. At Big Creek I met some visiting birders
from North Carolina who reported they had seen I believe 3 different
grebes, Pied-billed, Red-necked and Eared. A beautiful day. Nice to hear
the cottonwood leaves for one of the last times this year. Oh, I did see a
flock of birds on Saylorville Lake from Sandpiper Rec Area, but just I was
getting ready to view them with binoculars a boat scared them away. I
strongly suspect they were scoters, but don't know which species.
Nick Osness
Ames