Date: 10/30/20 7:05 am
From: Darrel Faxon <t4c1x...>
Subject: [obol] Swainson's and Hermit Thrushes
In regard to which thrush one sees in late October: It is true the default species is Hermit at that time. However, no one has yet mentioned that perhaps the easiest way to sort them out is behavior. Swainson's, particularly in migration, are furtive and shy. Hermit is much more confiding, perching in the open, often within a few feet of the observer. Last winter I was clearing a hillside of brush, which involved running a chain saw, building fires and moving brush and woody material to the fires. Much of the time a Hermit Thrush was picking over the exposed ground, often no more than ten feet from me, seemingly oblivious to either the noise of the saw or my activity. A Swainson's would never behave like that.

Darrel

Join us on Facebook!