Date: 10/30/20 6:35 am
From: 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Unusual number of finches
This is an irruption winter for a lot of northern species. First, it was Red-breasted Nuthatches starting in August. Then, Pine Siskins and Purple Finches. Now, Evening Grosbeaks. The numbers of Pine Siskins showing up at feeders has been staggering, sometimes in the triple digits. Keep your eye out for Common Redpolls in the mix and they're showing up in small numbers as well.

Tyler Bell
<jtylerbell...>
California, Maryland

On Friday, October 30, 2020, 8:22:47 AM EDT, Nancy <dan-nan-semper...> wrote:

Chesapeake Beach: Has anyone noticed an unusual number of gold/other finches & similar-sized birds in the last week? We normally have a variety of  birds in our yard & keep feeders up year-round.  But now we're seeing at least 50 finch-sized birds at a time - (they move too fast too count) - and I think they're crowding out the cardinals & jay. They're at the feeders, on the ground, in the air. We have multiple feeders filled with sunflower hearts & they act famished tho don't look thin - some continuing to eat even when I approach. I've never seen anything like this except the occasional arrival of blackbird flocks during snowstorms.