Date: 10/29/20 8:47 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Catharus thrush phenology: eBird Target List data
Nagi,

Thanks for your interest, and the effort you put into your offer. I especially appreciate the link to the method for importing spreadsheet data into eBird. I’ll keep that.

But here’s the deal. I already know what species I haven’t seen in each of the counties, the state, etc. I can quickly look at my county lists spreadsheet and extract a list of birds I haven’t seen. I also know how hard these new birds are to find. They are birds that you find after you’ve already found the first 200 or 250 easier species.

I don’t need to put my data into eBird just to have it tell me that Rarity X appears on zero or .00001 checklists in county Y. For me, that would be a lot of work for no gain. I don’t plan to use the “target” feature of eBird for planning my personal trips.

I may use it in the way Wayne did, to look up the frequency of species X in location Y in month Z.

We keep learning. Thanks again.

Paul