Date: 10/29/20 1:30 pm
From: Marcia Watson <marshwren50...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Yard Birds Today (Bowie, PG County)
Gene and I were happy to see a Brown Creeper on a Willow Oak in our front
yard a few minutes ago. This is only our fourth occurrence of Brown Creeper
in our yard, in the 9 years since we moved to Bowie. (Usually when I tell
people that we live in Bowie they get a somewhat comical evasive expression
and sheepishly admit that they don't really know where Bowie is - so: Bowie
is along Route 50, halfway between DC and Annapolis, in Prince George's
County. Bowie is immediately south of South Tract at Patuxent Research
Refuge; Belt Woods is at the south edge of Bowie; the Patuxent River flows
along Bowie's eastern edge).

Also a female Eastern Towhee showed up today in our feeder area. I've been
hearing Towhee calls down in the woods for the last few days but this is the
first appearance of one. Other appearances this week include

- Northern Flickers - they're here all the time, but seldom come out of the
woods. For the last few days they've been coming to our platform feeder and
feeding on the lawn.

- Northern Mockingbird - although they are common elsewhere in our
neighborhood, we seldom see them in the little wooded glen where our house
is located. The mockingbird that showed up on our deck this week is only our
8th record in eBird.

- White-throated Sparrows arrived in force a few days ago, following single
birds that filtered in one at a time over the past month or so. Today one of
the White-throats is a leucistic bird with white patches like a piebald
pony.

- A lone Junco was here a few days ago but we haven't seen it since.

- Every once in a while I hear a Red-breasted Nuthatch in the woods but have
not spotted one at the feeders.

Sadly, no siskins, Purple Finches, or grosbeaks.

Marcia

_________

Marcia Watson

Patuxent Bird Club

A Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society

<http://www.patuxentbirdclub.org> www.patuxentbirdclub.org

Bowie, MD

<Marshwren50...>