Date: 10/28/20 4:13 pm
From: Sandy Leaptrott <sandyleapt...>
Subject: [obol] New interesting place in NE Portland
Hi All, here’s a recent addition to places to birdwatch along the Columbia River Slough in far NE Portland.

There is an interesting man-made marsh at the corner of NE 158th and NE Airport Way. I don’t know what the story is behind this little wetland. I’m guessing it’s a little over an acre in size. It was quite a pond until it was drained and planted during the spring and summer of this year. The pond is now refilling with rain water.

Today I finally took the time to stop and found Gadwalls, Mallards, a female Northern Shoveler and a Killdeer. I could hear an American Wigeon. There are sidewalks around two sides so nice public viewing access, the only drawbacks are parking along the shoulder of NE 158th and the traffic noise. It is located in an industrial area.

I look forward to visiting this spot through the fall and winter. Should be some good wading birds and maybe shorebirds in the spring.

Cheers

Sandy Leaptrott
NE Portland

Sent from my iPad