Date: 10/28/20 9:16 am
From: Mitchell Pruitt <mitchellpruitt24...>
Subject: Field Work and Wandering in Ozark National Forest (Pine Siskin, Roadrunner, BH Nuthatches, and More)
This week, rain or shine (mostly rain), I’ve been working on deploying acoustic recording units in pine forest across the western Ozarks. This is in an effort to study occupancy of migrating/wintering Northern Saw-whet Owl at these sites. En route, I’m always looking and listening for birds, of course!

Yesterday took me on a circumnavigation journey of the western Ozarks from Fayetteville, to Mossville south of Boxley Valley, to Redding Recreation Area, to Shores Lake Recreation Area, then back to Fayetteville. Arkansas’ backcountry never ceases to impress.

Along Madison County 1404, west of Arbaugh, a flock of ~200 Pine Siskin were seen foraging in the dirt road and in adjacent trees.

Between Wolf Pen and Redding Recreation Areas, a Greater Roadrunner was seen along Hwy 215 next to the Mulberry River, swollen with recent rain.

At Redding Recreation Area, along Morgan Mountain Road, several Red-breasted Nuthatches tooted in the pines with Golden-crowned Kinglets.

Finally, around Shores Lake Recreation Area, I observed 2 Brown-headed Nuthatches, 4 Red-breasted Nuthatches, Pine Warbler, and Brown Creeper. No crossbills to speak of today, but maybe my recording units will pick some up.

In similar wanderings Monday at Wedington WMA, I observed 3 Pied-billed Grebes on the lake and a House Wren in woods nearby.

Good birding,
Mitchell Pruitt

or click the following link: