Date: 10/28/20 8:22 am
From: Jeff Harding <jeffharding...>
Subject: [obol] Possible Red-throated Loon at Foster Lake, Linn County
I visited Foster Lake yesterday, and having forgotten to bring a scope, I
photographed several distant white spots on the lake. Looking at them this
morning, there was one that appears to have the white face and slim bill of
an adult winter Red-throated Loon, attached.

There were at least three loons on the lake, others identifiable as Common
Loons. There were also several Horned Grebes, and at Lewis Creek Park, an
Eared Grebe.

There is a nice, mostly undeveloped park in Sweet Home that has potential
for interesting birds with parking on Zelkova Street, accessed from Clark
Mill Road. There are old quarry or log ponds there. It's an eBird Hotspot
called Zelkova Street Park (https://ebird.org/checklist/S75497582). That's
my own clever name for it, when I proposed the hotspot last year, but I
don't think Sweet Home has named it. There was a female Common Goldeneye
there yesterday.

Good birding,

Jeff

Join us on Facebook!