Date: 10/27/20 7:04 pm From: Tom Crabtree <tc...> Subject: [obol] Re: This winter's CBCs
Redmond and Madras are cancelled. Bend is likely a go as is Maupin.
Tom Crabtree, Bend
From: <obol-bounce...> [mailto:<obol-bounce...>] On Behalf Of Joel Geier
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 6:09 PM
To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol...>
Subject: [obol] This winter's CBCs
Great to see that birders are looking ahead to CBC season!
As I shared here a month or two ago, National Audubon Society (NAS) is recommending for compilers to skip this winter's CBCs, unless they can conduct them safely according to the suggested guidelines which were fairly straightforward (briefly, carpools and field teams should be people from the same household or "bubble," no in-person compilation meetings, minimal contact with local non-participants).
I believe most compilers are waiting until November 15th (as suggested by NAS) to make the final call on whether to proceed.
Here are the ones that I've heard about through various channels:
ORHM Hart Mountain is cancelled due to the risk to staff at this remote location.
ORFL Florence is cancelled because the compilers assessed that this would be a difficult count to conduct in line with the guidelines.
ORJD John Day is proceeding but sectors will be subdivided so that teams will only comprise household/bubble members.
ORAT Antone is proceeding as a "no contact" count (we might exchange greetings in the parking lot).
ORCB Coos Bay seems to be cancelled as no one has stepped up to replace Tim Rodenkirk after his "retirement."
ORYB Yaquina Bay is planning to proceed with precautions similar to ORJD.
ORCG Cottage Grove will go ahead since this is locally staffed and the teams are mostly household members.
I might be missing one or two, off the top of my head. The situation in Nevada is similar; three counts have been cancelled but most other compilers are taking a "wait and see" approach.
I'll appreciate hearing from more compilers about your plans.