Date: 10/27/20 2:38 pm
From: Doug & Nina Harr <dnharr...>
Subject: Re: [ia-bird] Red-necked Grebe at Big Creek
I was birding around Saylorville Lake this morning and happened to see
Denny's posting about a Red-necked Grebe at Big Creek Lake. I hadn't found
one yet this year, so after lunch in Ankeny I headed to Big Creek State
Park. I couldn't find that grebe where Denny reported seeing it from the
beach, so then headed back down the lake and took a side loop past Ensign
Shelter, to scope a large flock of ducks nearby. After spotting a *Bonaparte's
Gull* and a *Common Loon* with the mix of ducks*, * I then saw *2
Red-necked Grebes, 1 Horned **Grebe, 1 Western Grebe and 4 Pied-billed
Grebes. * This turned out to be an official "Great Grebe Day"!

Doug Harr
Ogden