Date: 10/27/20 6:23 am
From: Veer Frost <0000038039fb4cf6-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Evening grosbeaks cleaning their teeth?(tooth)
The evening grosbeak crew here has grown, I must suppose because the
riverside habitat is clogged with boxelder with their extravagant
seeding strategy. I cannot keep water in the water tray for long,
attributing it to a wow thirst factor in such big birds, but lately
the tray is filling up with tiny slivers of what looks like seedy
bits. I'm wondering if a dozen birds are coming to the tray not just
to drink but to cleanse that huge tooth of a bill. Okay right now
watching them dunk the head (as if to drink) and come up making
cracking gestures with the bill... can't believe that bill can't deal
with a maple seed though! The endless pleasure birds bring (in dark
times).
_Veer Frost, Passumpsic NEK___

Join us on Facebook!