Date: 10/26/20 6:54 pm
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: Bald Knob NWR
blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } A small group of us spent 5 hours enjoying a leisurely check of the Bald Knob NWF today, Monday.  Checked the ponds, the cut rice fields, water in various fields, and the wooded areas.  Raptors were Bald Eagle, Red-tailed Hawks, Northern Harriers, a Kestrel, along with a few Turkey Vultures.
 There were lots of big groups of ducks scattered around the refuge.  Huge groups of Green-winged Teal, easily over 2,000.  Other waterfowl were Shovelers, Mallards, Blue-winged Teal, Coots, Gadwalls, Pintails, Ring-necked Ducks, a couple of Redheads, and one male Wigeon with his little harem in tow.  Lots of Great Blue Herons and Great Eagrets were everywhere.
There isn't a lot of mud, so very few shorebirds.  We had two Dunlin's, 30 Avocets, 4 Black-necked Stilts, a few Lesser Yelowlegs, some Kildeer, Least Sandpipers, and 3 Long-billed Dowitchers.
In the fields, we had 3 Soras, lots of Savannah Sparrows and some White-throated Sparrows,  a Marsh Wren, and two House Wrens.  Flyovers of groups, with many landing in the fields, were well over 2,000 Greater White-fronted Geese.  Also had a small group of 9 Brewer's Blackbirds, male and female. In the wooded areas we saw and heard Towhees, Carolina Wrens, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and Downey Woodpeckers.  The rain moved in so we finally had to stop and head home. Very nice way to spend the day.Karen Holliday(Birding in White County)

or click the following link: