Date: 10/25/20 5:35 pm
From: 'George Jett' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Curlew Sandpiper chase Monday?
Use eBird alerts.  U can get a notice on an hourly basis.
I sign on to Harford  Co while the CUSA remains
George

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
On Sunday, October 25, 2020, Rick Borchelt <rborchelt...> wrote:

You'll have seen my note to George about success this afternoon. Good luck tomorrow.

The CUSA sighting does, though, bring me to ask about the current landscape for notifications of rarities in the MD region.  I only happened on this yesterday afternoon when someone helpfully posted to the FB page on MD Notable Bird Sightings; and I've noted over the last year that important sightings don't show up here or in FB's MD Birding with any timeliness.  I do track eBird and might have seen the report there but again there's a 24-hour lag.

So I'd like to ask the community how it finds out about rare or uncommon bird sightings?  A Twitter network? A private listserv? Email/phone trees?

Time was when MD Osprey had rarities within hours if not minutes.  Perhaps the community is so fractured around multiple social media that we lack a good go-to place these days.  If so, I count that a real loss for the birding community and especially for junior/aspiring birders who may not be part of the "in crowd".

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 5:36 PM 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> wrote:

Jane Kostenko and I have been unable to chase the Curlew Sandpiper over the weekend and Monday will be our first opportunity. Anyone else going? We'll post results when we get there if there isn't an update via eBird, Facebook or MDBirding. I see an eBird report from just before 5 so hoping it sticks around another day at least!

Tyler Bell
<jtylerbell...>
California, Maryland

Rick Borchelt
College Park, MD
preferred personal email:  rborchelt |AT| gmail |DOT| com

http://leplog.wordpress.com