Date: 10/25/20 5:13 pm
From: Rick Borchelt <rborchelt...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Curlew Sandpiper chase Monday?
You'll have seen my note to George about success this afternoon. Good luck
tomorrow.

The CUSA sighting does, though, bring me to ask about the current landscape
for notifications of rarities in the MD region. I only happened on this
yesterday afternoon when someone helpfully posted to the FB page on MD
Notable Bird Sightings; and I've noted over the last year that important
sightings don't show up here or in FB's MD Birding with any timeliness. I
do track eBird and might have seen the report there but again there's a
24-hour lag.

So I'd like to ask the community how it finds out about rare or uncommon
bird sightings? A Twitter network? A private listserv? Email/phone trees?

Time was when MD Osprey had rarities within hours if not minutes. Perhaps
the community is so fractured around multiple social media that we lack a
good go-to place these days. If so, I count that a real loss for the
birding community and especially for junior/aspiring birders who may not be
part of the "in crowd".

--
Rick Borchelt
College Park, MD