Date: 10/17/20 8:10 pm
From: Joan Lentz (cox.net address) <joanlentz...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Hawkwatch thoughts from today
Hi All:
This morning, Marilyn Harding, Ron Hirst, and I met at the confluence of Park Ln., Bella Vista, and Mariposa, all in the foothills of Montecito.
This is the location mentioned previously where we’ve noticed raptors circling and catching thermals. We certainly had some confirmation of the phenomenon, although nothing interesting was on tap. We watched a bunch of Turkey Vultures, joined by some local Red-tailed Hawks (?), kettle up and then peel off and fly east following the SY mountains in an eastward direction.
Alas, no raptors of interest on our watch.
Marilyn and I then drove round and up to the traditional Bella Vista hawk watch spot, although we positioned ourselves further west a bit so we could overlook the whole range and including Romero Cyn. Again, we spotted another kettle of Turkey Vultures back at that same location, and they rose up, flew towards us. A Cooper’s Hawk and some more Red-tails were flying around but they might’ve been just locals. So, we now know that raptors may congregate at certain spots which appear more favorable for them catching thermals to speed their way in migration.
https://ebird.org/bcn/checklist/S74963327 <https://ebird.org/bcn/checklist/S74963327>
https://ebird.org/checklist/S74987557 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S74987557>

Good birding,

Joan Lentz