Date: 10/17/20 2:49 pm
From: Sal <bees2...>
Subject: [StanislausBirds] Birding Del Puerto Canyon After the Fires
This morning was my first trip up the canyon since the recent fires there. I wish I could say the glass was half full--of birding habitats, that is!  It seemed that way at first because the grasslands, beginning at 1.3 miles, was scorched only on the south side of the road. The higher elevation habitats was intermittently burned all the way up to the top of the canyon, with a scattering of  few intact trees remaining. There were the expected species, but only a few of them. Roadrunner, Loggerhead Shrike, Mourning Dove, and Rock Wren were noticeably absent. I would recommend waiting until the spring of 2021 to bird there, when the winter rains will replenish the vegetation and soil.

Sal Salerno, Modesto