Date: 10/17/20 1:45 pm
From: Greg Swick <grswick...>
Subject: Caney Mountain CA Field Trip Oct. 24 - No Sightings

Hi MoBirders,
A few months ago, the GOAS Board committed to doing seasonal bird surveys
at Caney Mountain Conservation Area in Ozark County for Missouri's CACHE
program. Funds that the Missouri Birding Society receives from the CACHE
bird census partnership are used to fund bird conservation projects
throughout the state. Greater Ozarks Audubon's GLADE project is one of
those conservation projects, and we are extremely grateful for the support
of MBS through the years.

I have volunteered to lead the first of these excursions to Caney Mountain
on next Saturday, Oct. 24, at the peak of the Ozarks fall splendor.
We will leave from the Evan's Road/Hwy 65 Commuter Parking Lot on the south
side of Springfield at 7:30 am and expect to be back to Springfield at
around 5:30 pm, giving us 5 hours on site, from around 9:30-3:00. If any
of you would like to join our group, we would be delighted to have you!

We will be caravaning to the site near Gainesville, MO. The drive to Caney
Mountain CA from Springfield will be approximately 2 hours. Although I
will be riding alone in my own truck, you are welcome to carpool with
people you feel comfortable with.
All COVID precautions will be taken while birding together. Bring a
lunch, drinks, and snacks please.

Caney Mountain CA is an interesting place. Its mixed glade and woodlands
landscape is laced with clear running streams and canebrakes. Along one of
the streams is the cabin of Starker Leopold, son of the famous
conservationist Aldo Leopold. An extremely under-birded location, you
never know what we may find there! I saw my lifer Bachman's Sparrow there
in May of 1995. Today the species is believed to be extirpated from the
state, but we hold hope for its return on fire-managed lands in
southern Missouri. Here's a link to the MDC website for the area.
https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/places/caney-mountain-conservation-area

If you are interested in joining our group for a beautiful day of Ozarks
birding, please reply directly to me. I will be putting together a smaller
mailing list with more details in the coming days.

Thanks for your consideration,

Good birding,
Greg Swick, GOAS President

*Greg Swick*

*I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in nature, which, if we
unconsciously yield to it, will direct us aright. ~Henry David Thoreau*