Date: 10/17/20 11:31 am
From: Matthew Dodder <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Varied Thrush at home
As I pulled into our driveway in Mountain View, I heard the unmistakable song of a VARIED TRUSH. A haunting discordant trill came from somewhere in the shrubs beyond my car. One of the most arresting sounds I can think of, and a favorite winter bird at our home. Despite several minutes of trying to track down the mysterious song, I could not locate the bird, but with luck, it might stick around as it has in the past.

A few minutes earlier, I had been at Charleston Road Marsh were I found a MACGILLLIVRAY’S WARBLER. Also in that area were two FOX SPARROWS. It’s not unusual to hear Fox Sparrows singing when they winter here, but one of these two had a peculiar song that strongly resembled that of a Bell’s Vireo. It was quite a shock to see the Fox Sparrow make this sound.

Matthew Dodder
Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
22221 McClellan Rd.