Date: 10/17/20 11:00 am
From: Diane Drobka <sunny1az...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Greater Roadrunner, all time high for me.
External Email

Jeff Coker has seen one near the Ladybug Trail when he and his wife were hiking at circa 9,000' on Labor Day weekend.Suspect that, in both the Catalinas and Pinaleños, it's a combination of fire effects, lack of rainfall, and, probably more importantly, overall climate change. Plus there are some really nice lizards on the mountain - yummy GRRO food!
On Saturday, October 17, 2020, 06:17:38 AM MDT, Kelly W. <kjunewright2014...> wrote:

External Email

According to CNF, Riggs Lake is 8600' ... I saw one near Shannon Campground over the summer, which really was at 9,000' - surprised the heck out of me!https://ebird.org/checklist/S71298145

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020, 6:45 PM Jeff Ladderud <globetrekker17...> wrote:

External Email

I saw that individual at 8,600’ last weekend. I was wondering how high they had been reported; so thanks for the info about the Mount Graham bird.
Jeff LadderudTucson, AZ
On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 6:19 PM Larry <oldbirdbum...> wrote:

External Email

Not a high number count, but a high elevation record for my observations.  Today, way up in Ski Valley on Mount Lemmon I observed a Greater Roadrunner volating down the ski run. After landing by the hut it began hunting on the patch of miniature golf turf at the bottom of the ski slope. I estimate the elevation to be 8,320'.  I have never seen GRRO in the mesic fir forest of the sky islands. Of course, this record is not as high as the recently recorded GRRO observed by the Radke's near Riggs Lake on Mount Graham at over 9,000' earlier this fall. Food must be sparse in the burned over foothills and lower slopes of both ranges.
Larry NorrisCasas Adobes, Arizona

To view archive: click "Archive" on that page. Home Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds