Date: 10/17/20 10:22 am
From: <guymcc...> [inlandcountybirds] <inlandcountybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] Salton Sea (south) - 16 Oct 2020
I spent Friday 16 October 2020 (7:00 AM to 4:00 PM) checking a few locations
in the Imperial Valley and along the south shore of the Salton Sea. I
started the day at the hummingbird feeders on Willard Avenue in Brawley, the
moved to nearby Cattle Call Park. From Brawley I drove directly to Unit 1 of
the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge. From Unit 1 I drove northeastward
to the west end of Young Road. After spending time at the west end of Young
Road, I then drove slowly northeastward along the edge of the Salton Sea to
Obsidian Butte stopping numerous times. I then drove eastward to the Salton
Sea National Wildlife Refuge HQ. At the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge
HQ I spent time looking along the entry road and around the parking area,
then looking over the ponds at Rock Hill and the shoreline between Rock Hill
and Obsidian Butte. From the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge HQ I drove
northeastward to the north end of Garst Road, then eastward to the eastern
part of Morton Bay. I then drove east on Pound Road to International Avenue
in Niland. After checking the southern end of International Avenue, I drove
south to the riparian thicket at the northeast corner of the IID Wetlands,
then headed south on Highway 111 into Calipatria. I then spent time checking
for birds around the scattered residences west of Calipatria. From there I
drove south on Highway 111 into Brawley. In Brawley I looked at Riverview
Cemetery and quickly at Cattle Call Park. I then drove south and westward to
Sunbeam Lake, stopping to look at Sheldon Reservoir on the way, and ended
the day at Fig Lagoon.

Thin haze, little to no wind, and temperatures ranging from 65 to 100
degrees.

Species seen and/or heard - Blue-winged Teal (20), Cinnamon Teal (30),
Northern Shoveler (2500), Gadwall (5), American Wigeon (50), Mallard (20),
Northern Pintail (25), Green-winged Teal (250), Redhead (50), Ring-necked
Duck (9 - nine together at Fig Lagoon), Ruddy Duck (1500), Gambel's Quail
(15), Pied-billed Grebe (10), Eared Grebe (30), Western Grebe (25), Clark's
Grebe (4), Rock Pigeon (50), Eurasian Collared-Dove (150), Inca Dove (2),
Common Ground-Dove (15), White-winged Dove (5 - five in residential
southwestern Brawley), Mourning Dove (150), Greater Roadrunner (3), Anna's
Hummingbird (15), Costa's Hummingbird (6), Ridgway's Rail (2), Sora (6),
Common Gallinule (2), American Coot (1500), Sandhill Crane (200- about two
hundred at Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge), Black-necked
Stilt (200), American Avocet (350), Black-bellied Plover (25), Semipalmated
Plover (5), Killdeer (25), Snowy Plover (15), Long-billed Curlew (25),
Marbled Godwit (35), Stilt Sandpiper (50 - most with Long-billed Dowitchers
at the west end of Young Road), Dunlin (5), Least Sandpiper (250), Western
Sandpiper (350), Least/Western Sandpiper (1000), Long-billed Dowitcher
(350), Spotted Sandpiper (1), Willet (30), Greater Yellowlegs (20), Wilson's
Snipe (10 - ten at Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge),
Red-necked Phalarope (5 - five at the west end of Young Road), Laughing Gull
(4 - four with Ring-billed Gulls off Rock Hill), Ring-billed Gull (1500),
Western Gull (1 - one adult at Obsidian Butte), California Gull (50),
Herring Gull (15), Caspian Tern (10), Forster's Tern (40), Common Loon (1 -
one early fall migrant in basic-plumage on the Salton Sea off the west end
of Lindsey Road - one on Fig Lagoon on 2 October 2011 provides the only
earlier record of a fall migrant at the Salton Sink), Neotropic Cormorant
(15), Double-crested Cormorant (50), American White Pelican (300), Brown
Pelican (1 - most appear to have departed the area), Great Blue Heron (10),
Great Egret (50), Snowy Egret (60), Cattle Egret (1500), Green Heron (1),
Black-crowned Night-Heron (5), White-faced Ibis (1500), Turkey Vulture (10),
Osprey (2 - one at the west end of Young Road and one near Obsidian Butte),
Northern Harrier (5), Cooper's Hawk (1), Red-tailed Hawk (6), Burrowing Owl
(15), Belted Kingfisher (1), Red-naped Sapsucker (1 - one adult at Cattle
Call Park in Brawley was the same bird seen here on 7 October), Gila
Woodpecker (3), Northern Flicker (6), American Kestrel (25), Peregrine
Falcon (4), Western Flycatcher (1 - one late-staying bird at Riverview
Cemetery in Brawley), Black Phoebe (15), Say's Phoebe (15), Vermilion
Flycatcher (2 - at Cattle Call Park in Brawley, one male at the Salton Sea
National Wildlife Refuge HQ And one male at Riverview Cemetery in Brawley),
Loggerhead Shrike (5), Common Raven (5), Horned Lark (1), Tree Swallow
(300), Barn Swallow (150), Verdin (5), Rock Wren (1- one along the seawall
north of Young Road), House Wren (2), Marsh Wren (10), Roby-crowned Kinglet
(3), Black-tailed Gnatcatcher (1), Northern Mockingbird (10), European
Starling (75), House Sparrow (25), American Pipit (5), House Finch (25),
Lark Sparrow (2), Chipping Sparrow (15), Brewer's Sparrow (1), Fox Sparrow
(1 - one "slate-colored" with White-crowned Sparrows at Cattle Call Park in
Brawley was probably the same bird photographed here by Jim Moore on 11
October), White-crowned Sparrow (50), Savannah Sparrow (30), Song Sparrow
(10), Abert's Towhee (6), Yellow-headed Blackbird (20 - twenty together at
Unit 1 of the Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge), Western Meadowlark (10),
Red-winged Blackbird (500), Brown-headed Cowbird (5), Brewer's Blackbird
(5), Great-tailed Grackle (50), Orange-crowned Warbler (1), Common
Yellowthroat (5) and Yellow-rumped Warbler (20) - 116 species.

Guy McCaskie

Join us on Facebook!