Date: 10/17/20 6:54 am
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

Wood Duck (1 Gilliam)
Greater Scaup (2 Benton)
Sandhill Crane (2 Grant)
American Golden-Plover (4 Deschutes)
Wood Sandpiper (15 Marion)
Franklin's Gull (1 Curry)
Rough-legged Hawk (2 Deschutes)
Hairy Woodpecker (Rocky Mts.) (1 Deschutes)
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted x Red-shafted) (1 Multnomah)
Hutton's Vireo (1 Deschutes)
California Scrub-Jay (2 Union)
Clark's Nutcracker (1 Jackson)
Horned Lark (Western rufous Group) (1 Benton)
Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (1 Washington)
Lapland Longspur (3 Lane)
Fox Sparrow (Sooty) (1 Harney)
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored/cismontanus) (1 Union)
Vesper Sparrow (1 Lincoln)

Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 08:23 by Jeff Dillon
- Willow Creek Wildlife Area, Gilliam, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.0048959&<ll...>,-120.0048959
- Comments: "Nice male on channel. Came up calling and flew north down
creek."

Greater Scaup (Aythya marila) (3) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 13:35 by Robert Jilek
- Philomath Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.3461237&<ll...>,-123.3461237
- Comments: "At least. Photos."

Greater Scaup (Aythya marila) (3) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 12:55 by Caleb Centanni
- Philomath Sewage Ponds (restricted access), Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.3461237&<ll...>,-123.3461237
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "(Rare): Colby got photo of one . Prob 4-5. At least 3. One
that we all felt sure of was not photographed. New county bird for Colby
and Courtney"

Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) (133)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 13:05 by Karen Jacobs
- ODFW screen shop. (44.4236,-118.9715), Grant, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.971488&<ll...>,-118.971488
- Comments: "2 groups"

Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) (133)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 13:05 by Jimi Soupir
- ODFW screen shop. (44.4236,-118.9715), Grant, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.971488&<ll...>,-118.971488
- Comments: "2 groups"

American Golden-Plover (Pluvialis dominica) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 10:12 by Boyd Turner
- Hatfield Lake, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.198554&<ll...>,-121.198554
- Comments: "Plover with dark cap over light eyebrow checkered rump spotted
back dark wing with white stripe."

American Golden-Plover (Pluvialis dominica) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 08:10 by Bob Sizoo
- Hatfield Lake, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.198554&<ll...>,-121.198554
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Plover with all-greyish underwings including axilaries, and no
white rump when it flew. Four longest primaries extended past tail. Slight
golden cast still on crown. Seen by many birders. Found yesterday late
afternoon by Peter Low."

American Golden-Plover (Pluvialis dominica) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 11:59 by Brodie Cass Talbott
- Wickiup Reservoir--southeast flats W. of Wickiup Butte Boat Ramp,
Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.702002&<ll...>,-121.702002
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "(Rare and Unreported Dot) Tentative ID. Heard calling as we
approached the tip of the spit.

Located it through scopes across the straights to the north where, though
somewhat distant, it appeared to be more delicate and with a smaller bill
than BBPL, color we both agreed was grayish-yellow, not golden.

Conveniently it then flew directly towards and over us where Brodie made
flight call recording and I could see clearly no dark 'armpits'. It
continued off southwest in the direction of the 'Southside Channels' eBird
hotspot but we never relocated it scanning the big mudflats there."

American Golden-Plover (Pluvialis dominica) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 11:59 by Matt Cahill
- Wickiup Reservoir--southeast flats W. of Wickiup Butte Boat Ramp,
Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.702002&<ll...>,-121.702002
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "(Rare and Unreported Dot) Tentative ID. Heard calling as we
approached the tip of the spit. Have recording to upload soon.

Located it through scopes across the straights to the north where, though
somewhat distant, appeared to be more delicate and with a smaller bill than
BBPL, color we both agreed was grayish-yellow, not golden. Broad prominent
supercilium was evident, and we could see long wingtips though too far away
to rely into that detail to any degree.

Conveniently it then flew directly towards and past use where Brodie made
flight call recording and I could see clearly now dark 'armpits'. It
continued off southwest in the direction of the 'Southside Channels' eBird
hotspot but we never relocated it scanning the big mudflats there.

Brodie found a good match for a 'pleewee' call on Bird Academy:

https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/peterson-field-guide-to-bird-sounds/?speciesCode=amgplo&species=American%20Golden-Plover%20-%20Pluvialis%20dominica
"

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 07:20 by Kaplan Yalcin
- Ankeny NWR, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0767&<ll...>,-123.0767
- Comments: "Similar size and shape to Solitary Sandpiper but with more
white separating wings from breast. Backlighting and fog made it very
difficult to discern finer details of plumage - spotting or eyebrow not
observed. Occasional quick plover like runs, bobbed occasionally, remained
on grass or near shore, did not wade. Nearby killdeer and dowitchers
provided handy size comparison. Watched work its way the length of the
grassy island from left of center to left end and then back to right end
until flying off before 8 am. Returned later and seen/photographed by
others."

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 15:33 by Mary Lynn "Em" Scattaregia
- Ankeny NWR, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0767&<ll...>,-123.0767
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird found yesterday evening by Georges Kleinbaum.
On Eagle Marsh. Pics."

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 15:33 by Christopher Hinkle
- Ankeny NWR, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0767&<ll...>,-123.0767
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird found yesterday evening by Georges Kleinbaum.
On Eagle Marsh. Pics."

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 08:47 by Tanner Martin
- Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0813789&<ll...>,-123.0813789
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing rarity. Loosely SOSA-like, smaller than KILL, with
short, thick bill and pronounced eyebrow. Flew in and preened briefly
before flying off over tree line to SE. Poor photos."

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 08:32 by Andrew S. Aldrich
- Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0813789&<ll...>,-123.0813789
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Flew in briefly around 9am - smaller than
yellowlegs with shorter bill, pale supercilium, white rump. Photos/video."

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 08:15 by Nicholas Martens
- Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0813789&<ll...>,-123.0813789
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing rarity originally found and identified by Georges
Kleinbaum. Small Tringa sandpiper, smaller than Killdeer, with white
supercillium. High pitched flight call. Bill shorter than a yellowlegs; in
flight, white rump and tail distinguished it from a Solitary Sandpiper.
Flew in to island ~8:55a and stayed for 2 minutes before flying SSE past
distant treeline, in the direction of Pintail Marsh."

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 08:15 by Maureen Leong-Kee
- Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0813789&<ll...>,-123.0813789
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing rarity originally found and identified by Georges
Kleinbaum. Small Tringa sandpiper, smaller than Killdeer, with white
supercillium. Bill shorter than a yellowlegs; in flight, white rump and
tail distinguished it from a Solitary Sandpiper. High pitched flight call.
Flew in to island ~8:55a and stayed for 2 minutes before flying SSE past
distant treeline, in the direction of Pintail Marsh."

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 08:08 by Jenny Jones
- Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0813789&<ll...>,-123.0813789
- Comments: "Continuing rarity. Flew in to island in front of observation
area and stayed for maybe 3 minutes before flying off to the south. Similar
in size to solitary sandpiper but with noticeable white supercilium."

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 08:08 by Patty Newland
- Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0813789&<ll...>,-123.0813789
- Comments: "Continuing rarity. Flew in to island in front of observation
area and stayed for maybe 3 minutes before flying off to the south. Similar
in size to solitary sandpiper but with noticeable white supercilium."

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 07:45 by Jack Williamson
- Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0813789&<ll...>,-123.0813789
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Small sandpiper, dark above with white spots, clean white
belly, short sharp bill, white supercilium and throat, dark line through
eye, upper tail white with dark brown baring, relatively long greenish legs
with toes clearly extending beyond tail in flight."

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 16:30 by Peter Nelson
- Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0813789&<ll...>,-123.0813789
- Comments: "Continuing bird. Medium sandpiper with yellow legs, black
bill, white supercillium. Very busy on water edge, bobbing tail. Seen by
many birders."

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 16:15 by Rick Bennett
- Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0813789&<ll...>,-123.0813789
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing on island in front of parking lot -- Seen with many
other birders"

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 15:55 by M. Shane Pruett
- Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0813789&<ll...>,-123.0813789
- Comments: "Notable light eyebrow, strongly flecked back, yellow legs,
darkish bill. Smaller than dowitcher, regularly tilting while
walking/feeding. Later seen in direct compare with Gr. yellowlegs. Much
smaller in all proportions. More active feeding, continuously moving up and
down bank."

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 10:00 by Anonymous User
- Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0813789&<ll...>,-123.0813789
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing, found yesterday. Seen by MOB. Pic"

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 09:50 by Pam Otley
- Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh, Marion, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.0813789&<ll...>,-123.0813789
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Rarity reported 10/14 by Georges Kleinbaum. Sandpiper size
similar to Solitary Sandpiper. White supercilium, spotted back, white
throat."

Franklin's Gull (Leucophaeus pipixcan) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 07:04 by Joshua Meyers
- Chetco River--South Jetty, Curry, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.2695332&<ll...>,-124.2695332
- Comments: "Small, adult gull in flight and actively diving. Extensive
half hood, dark mantle and primaries (darker than BLKI, SAGU, BOGU). White
trailing edge extending across primaries and secondaries. Lacked terminal
band of juvenile gull. Did not have “M” pattern of adult SAGU. Good views
with scope about a 1/4 mi. Out for about 3min. Before flying off"

Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 10:15 by Brodie Cass Talbott
- Wickiup Dam, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.6906643&<ll...>,-121.6906643
- Comments: "(Rare) Noticed by Brodie just as we were about to leave. Both
of us quickly thought it an overall pale hawk. Flew with a flat dihedral,
black carpal patches, dark outline to bright underwings, dark belly, pale
rump."

Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 10:15 by Matt Cahill
- Wickiup Dam, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.6906643&<ll...>,-121.6906643
- Comments: "(Rare) Noticed by Brodie just as we were about to leave. Both
of us quickly thought it an overall pale hawk. Flew with a flat dihedral,
black carpal patches, dark outline to bright underwings, dark belly, pale
rump."

Hairy Woodpecker (Rocky Mts.) (Dryobates villosus orius/icastus) (1)
CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 17:28 by Matt Cahill
- Ryan Meadow, Deschutes, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.4198899&<ll...>,-121.4198899
- Comments: "eBird ISSF details: Well seen typical for this group. Contrast
bright black and white plumage, solid black shoulders without white
spotting."

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted x Red-shafted) (Colaptes auratus luteus x
cafer) (2)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 12:06 by Nick Mrvelj
- Dekum Street Neighborhood, Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.684189&<ll...>,-122.684189
- Comments: "Details pending. Not really rare."

Hutton's Vireo (Vireo huttoni) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 08:46 by Cindy Zalunardo
- Deschutes River Trail, Bend, Oregon, US (43.952, -121.42), Deschutes,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.4198899&<ll...>,-121.4198899
- Comments: "Grayish brown top (head to tail) , whitish below ( throat
breast tail and under tail) two white wing bars, flattened white eyering
and white lores, thicket bill than kinglet, chubbier, huskier than kinglet
and no flitting."

California Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma californica) (2)
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 16:05 by Dave Trochlell
- Sunnyhill Park and nearby neighborhoods, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.0847318&<ll...>,-118.0847318
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Photos."

California Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma californica) (2)
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 16:05 by Mark Ludwick
- Sunnyhill Park and nearby neighborhoods, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.0847318&<ll...>,-118.0847318
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Photos."

Clark's Nutcracker (Nucifraga columbiana) (2)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 15:25 by Frank Lospalluto
- big red mtn, Jackson, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.8433626&<ll...>,-122.8433626
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Photo"

Horned Lark (Western rufous Group) (Eremophila alpestris [strigata Group])
(9) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 15, 2020 14:19 by Caleb Centanni
- Llewellyn Rd., Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-123.2974149&<ll...>,-123.2974149
- Media: 8 Photos
- Comments: "photos: Colby says these are streaked subspecies of HOLA :
looking at ebird options, which don’t list “streaked”, we assume “western
rufous” prob is streaked? — at least 15 HOLA in field, at least 9 seen well
up close to see are streaked form: breast streaking over warm tawny breast
band color, and also another difference from Courtney’s Central Oregon type
is these streaked today have reddish caps. We saw them close up enough that
we also determined we couldn’t see any leg bands on these birds today,
(unless perhaps some bands are found in Colby’s photos?) — in field
beginning (44.4774,-123.2893) and to east of this pin ; — Colby says
streaked are our typical westside valley type, and prob breed here we
guess, and many are banded, and discussion with Caleb how remaining habitat
for them is so limited that they might be listed as endangered soon, but
even so this subspecies is surely “doomed”. — Sad, sigh, they’re sweet.
... — (Colby 1.5-yr ago on Blueberry Ln in Oregon in ~ March had 3
different subspecies of HOLA there: streaked, and Courtney’s central Oregon
type, and also the white-throated type)"

Red Crossbill (Ponderosa Pine or type 2) (Loxia curvirostra (type 2)) (18)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 14:00 by Jay Withgott
- Cooper Mountain Nature Park, Washington, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-122.8702354&<ll...>,-122.8702354
- Comments: "Flock flying by overhead calling the soft musical "churf"calls
of the Ponderosa Pine/Type 2 variety. Not enough time to get a recording,
but of all the call types, this is the one that is most distinctive to my
ear, so I feel confident of the ID. (However, Dave & Shawneen, I can't
recall if our policy is to mandate recordings -- If so, then let me know,
rather than just unconfirming this, and I will enter it as just Red
Crossbill and put these notes about the call type in the comments box.)"

Lapland Longspur (Calcarius lapponicus) (2)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 12:56 by John Sullivan
- Siuslaw River--South Jetty (jetty only), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.1370106&<ll...>,-124.1370106
- Comments: "One flyover, calling rattle and tew calls. One flushed from
Jetty rocks a few feet in front of me. Didn’t see it until it flushed."

Lapland Longspur (Calcarius lapponicus) (2)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 12:56 by Laura Johnson
- Siuslaw River--South Jetty (jetty only), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.1370106&<ll...>,-124.1370106
- Comments: "One flyover, calling rattle and tew calls. One flushed from
Jetty rocks a few feet in front of me. Didn’t see it until it flushed."

Lapland Longspur (Calcarius lapponicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 13:57 by Sally Hill
- Siuslaw River--South Jetty-Dog Pond, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.137429&<ll...>,-124.137429
- Comments: "Heard calling yew call and saw fly over the dog pond."

Fox Sparrow (Sooty) (Passerella iliaca [unalaschcensis Group]) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 16:10 by Craig Miller
- Malheur NWR--Headquarters, Harney, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.8440412&<ll...>,-118.8440412
- Comments: "Fox sparrow, brown-rufous upperparts, including nape and cap;
very little contrast between back and head. Plain face, did not have a
chance to see bill coloration; densely spotted (cresent) breast."

Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored/cismontanus) (Junco hyemalis
hyemalis/carolinensis/cismontanus) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 08:35 by Sean Cozart
- Sunnyhill Park, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-118.0846602&<ll...>,-118.0846602
- Comments: "Photos. Odd viewing angle but definitely not Oregon."

Vesper Sparrow (Pooecetes gramineus) (1)
- Reported Oct 16, 2020 11:25 by Roger Robb
- Yaquina Bay--Sally's Bend-LNG Facility, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-124.0254092&<ll...>,-124.0254092
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Found on the west side of the road leading to the LNG tank"

Join us on Facebook!