Date: 10/12/20 7:59 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Northern Bobwhite (3 reports)
- Curlew Sandpiper (5 reports)
- Laughing Gull (1 report)
- Ring-billed Gull (2 reports)
- Broad-winged Hawk (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (2 reports)
- Green-tailed Towhee (1 report)
- Northern Waterthrush (1 report)
- Lazuli Bunting (3 reports)

Northern Bobwhite (Colinus virginianus) (2)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 09:00 by Don Higgins
- Lake Los Carneros, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8483086&<ll...>,-119.8483086
- Comments: "Winter plumage"

Northern Bobwhite (Colinus virginianus) (2)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 09:24 by margeNdon thornton
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.84975&<ll...>,-119.84975
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "a male and a female seen from the path to the closed boardwalk(from the west)"

Northern Bobwhite (Colinus virginianus) (2)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 08:40 by Susanne Meyer
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.84975&<ll...>,-119.84975
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "In the brush just a few feet south of the west end of the footbridge. Not shy at all. Easily found thanks to Adrian!"

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 15:18 by Bob Toleno
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8419678&<ll...>,-119.8419678
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing near the base of the stairs at lot 6. Medium-sized calidris, slightly longer than a Sanderling, but with a more slender build, long droopy bill, mostly dull grayish plumage in apparent prebasic molt, pale supercilium, black legs, and white rump."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 15:18 by Juli Chamberlin
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8419678&<ll...>,-119.8419678
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing near the base of the stairs at lot 6. Medium-sized calidris, slightly longer than a Sanderling, but with a more slender build, long droopy bill, mostly dull grayish plumage in apparent prebasic molt, pale supercilium, and black legs."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 10:00 by Leo Edson
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8419678&<ll...>,-119.8419678
- Comments: "Continuing"

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 09:00 by John Thomlinson
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8419678&<ll...>,-119.8419678
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "0.5 miles north/east (i.e. cliffs on the left, ocean on the right) from steps down from Lot 6, just before the black rock outcropping. Long-legged, larger than Sanderling, slighter than Black Turnstone. Pale supercilium, white rump, downcurved bill."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Oct 11, 2020 16:20 by Sharif Uddin
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8419678&<ll...>,-119.8419678
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "North of the lot 6 stairs."

Laughing Gull (Leucophaeus atricilla) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 07:45 by Lisa Walker-Roseman
- Jalama Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.5023324&<ll...>,-120.5023324
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "bird was out in the water distant from shore"

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 10:20 by Lori Gaskin
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.6821404&<ll...>,-119.6821404
- Comments: "Sub-adult medium-small gull. Bill fleshy base with black tip, mantle feathers (those that were new) pale gray. Head small, rounded. Smaller than nearby Western Gulls, about the same size as nearby Heermann’s."

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 10:20 by Mark Holmgren
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.6821404&<ll...>,-119.6821404
- Comments: "Sub-adult medium-small gull. Bill fleshy base with black tip, mantle feathers (those that were new) pale gray. Head small, rounded. Smaller than nearby Western Gulls, about the same size as nearby Heermann’s."

Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) (2)
- Reported Oct 11, 2020 08:48 by Deann Purcell
- Oak Grove neighborhood, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.606031&<ll...>,-119.606031
- Comments: "We were at Piedras and Oak Grove about 10:15 am when we saw three hawks circling in a group to the north. We identified one as a red-tailed hawk but we were unsure about the other two. The red-tailed hawk appeared larger than the other two birds. The other two were mostly white underneath, with black wingtips. Eventually, the red-tailed hawk left the circle and the other two continued to circle to the north. As we weren't sure what else they could be (we weren't thinking of broad-winged hawks at the time), we eventually made the assumption that the original three was a group of red-tailed hawks, though the two didn't look like red-tailed hawks to either of us. Later, seeing John C.'s photos and description allowed us to make the connection that we had seen the same two broad-winged hawks that he had. The two birds in question looked the same as those in John's photos, their behavior was the same, and we saw them just to the west of John about 15 minutes before he saw them."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 10:37 by John Deacon
- Fairway Drive x A Street, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.46393&<ll...>,-120.46393
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Bright yellow breast almost up to chin area. Bill stouter than nearby CAKI. The bird was observed flycatching and the solid yellow breast was striking. The angle of this photo isn't the best but one can almost see the notch in the tail. I observed this bird and a Cassin's Kingbird harassing each other. The more prominent yellow breast was obvious in the TRKI. Located in small dead pines west of Fairway and A. A field is being plowed adjacent to the small dead pines."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 08:03 by David Blue
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8713662&<ll...>,-119.8713662
- Comments: "Continuing since September 20, 2020. Excellent comparisons with a nearby Western Kingbird and three Cassin’s Kingbirds."

Green-tailed Towhee (Pipilo chlorurus) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 08:02 by Alex Loos
- Hope Ranch Annex (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.7596846&<ll...>,-119.7596846
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "First seen foraging by feeder with White-crowned Sparrows in yard (blurry photo taken through window). After a while bird showed up in front of home office window and started drying itself partially hidden in vegetation then on the ground. Video link to be posted."

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 10, 2020 06:12 by NewHaven BirdClub
- Haskell's Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.915231&<ll...>,-119.915231
- Comments: "On the edge of the creek in Bell Canyon. Mid-size songbird, larger and chunkier than typical warbler. Vigorously bobbing its rear end. Brown above, pale below with distinct dark stripes on breast and flanks. Pale eyebrow contrasting with dark eyeline."

Lazuli Bunting (Passerina amoena) (1)
- Reported Oct 11, 2020 10:30 by Scott Scheinhaus
- Santa Cruz Island (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.773813&<ll...>,-119.773813

Lazuli Bunting (Passerina amoena) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 10:20 by Lori Gaskin
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.6821404&<ll...>,-119.6821404
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Immature, foraging near base of pier at Prisoner's Harbor."

Lazuli Bunting (Passerina amoena) (1)
- Reported Oct 12, 2020 10:20 by Mark Holmgren
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.6821404&<ll...>,-119.6821404
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Immature, foraging near base of pier at Prisoner's Harbor."

View/Reply Online (#31244): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/31244
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: main+<owner...>