Date: 10/10/20 7:27 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Common Nighthawk (1 report)
- Curlew Sandpiper (3 reports)
- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Brewer's Sparrow (1 report)
- Yellow-breasted Chat (1 report)
- Lucy's Warbler (1 report)
- Virginia's Warbler (1 report)
- Northern Parula (2 reports)
- Indigo Bunting (1 report)

Common Nighthawk (Chordeiles minor) (1)
- Reported Oct 09, 2020 08:42 by Laura Lyon
- 3056 Braemar Dr, Santa Barbara US-CA 34.40691, -119.74346, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.743456&<ll...>,-119.743456
- Comments: "Saw early in the morning near a field"

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Oct 10, 2020 17:45 by Derik Bowen
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8419678&<ll...>,-119.8419678
- Comments: "Found south of the stairs. Hanging with a bunch of sanderlings"

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Oct 10, 2020 08:10 by David Schmerge
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8419678&<ll...>,-119.8419678
- Comments: "With sanderlings. Slightly larger than sanderling. Long, decurved bill. Legs longer than sanderling. White eyebrow. White rump. Flanks white with no streaking."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 09, 2020 08:34 by Bob Tallyn
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8419678&<ll...>,-119.8419678
- Comments: "About 8' long, larger than the group of Sanderlings that it was with. Long, black downcurved bill, distinctive white supercilium, gray wash across upper breast with tinges of brown, back, and upper and lower scapulars are scaly in appearance, black legs. Location approx. 150 yds south of UCSB Parking Lot 6 steps."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 10, 2020 07:37 by David Blue
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8713662&<ll...>,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird at the east pond bridge, first reported this fall by Libby Patten on September 20, 2020. Distinguished from nearby Cassin’s Kingbirds by its lighter gray head, longer black bill, greenish back, and brighter yellow belly which came higher up on the breast."

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (1)
- Reported Oct 06, 2020 11:08 by Eric Heisey
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.6821404&<ll...>,-119.6821404
- Comments: "Probably continuing. Very confiding, good photos. Feeding in a fennel patch just above the riparian."

Yellow-breasted Chat (Icteria virens) (1)
- Reported Oct 10, 2020 13:40 by Joan Lentz
- 433 Pimiento Ln, Santa Barbara US-CA 34.43410, -119.63515, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.635148&<ll...>,-119.635148
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Large warbler with long tail, bright yellow breast, dark mask painted around eye with white spectacles. See photo"

Lucy's Warbler (Leiothlypis luciae) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 09, 2020 10:23 by Bob Tallyn
- LocMeIn, 7414 Hollister Ave., Goleta, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.9041843&<ll...>,-119.9041843
- Comments: "Small warbler, about 4" long, overall pale gray back, creamy-white from below, sharp, pointed black bill, faint eye ring with contrasting black eye, Tail conforms more to the body (warbler-like) rather than sticking out from the body (Bushtit like)."

Virginia's Warbler (Leiothlypis virginiae) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 10, 2020 08:47 by David Compton
- Refugio SB, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.0694835&<ll...>,-120.0694835
- Comments: "One with minimal yellow or dingy wash on breast."

Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) (2)
- Reported Oct 10, 2020 10:00 by Andrew McGrath
- 7620 Hollister Ave, Goleta US-CA 34.43107, -119.89339, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.893394&<ll...>,-119.893394
- Comments: "One seen well but others saw second. Orange on breast visible. White underside. Otherwise patterned similar to YRWA."

Northern Parula (Setophaga americana) (1)
- Reported Oct 10, 2020 11:30 by Ron Hirst
- LogMein, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8922868&<ll...>,-119.8922868
- Comments: "adult male seen at 8-16 ft. in tipu for minutes. Green back and rufous chest patch with black seen well. 2 wings bars, split eye ring. Gray color above, except back, and whitish belly & undertail. Likely the same bird seen 2 days ago since chest patch was similar."

Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) (1)
- Reported Oct 06, 2020 11:08 by Eric Heisey
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.6821404&<ll...>,-119.6821404
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "A tentative report for now until I get the photos loaded onto my computer and I can study the bird in more depth. Associating with a female LAZB. A molting male. This bird showed blue streaking in the belly and dusky undertail coverts, both of which should indicate that the individual was not a pure LAZB. The wing bars were also not very strong/white, rather dull and buffy. It is going to be difficult to eliminate a hybrid on this bird I suspect, although I think a hybrid would be even rarer for what it’s worth. Attached is a back-of-camera photo, I’ll upload my other photos and study this more closely when I return to Washington."

View/Reply Online (#31218): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/31218
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: main+<owner...>