Thank you for subscribing to the <daily> Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert.The report below shows observations of rare birds in Santa Barbara County. View or unsubscribe to this alert at https://ebird.org/alert/summary?sid=SN35915 NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated.
eBird encourages our users to bird safely, responsibly, and mindfully. Please follow the recommendations of your local health authorities and respect any active travel restrictions in your area. For more information visit: https://ebird.org/news/please-bird-mindfully
Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 09, 2020 08:34 by Bob Tallyn
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8419678&<ll...>,-119.8419678 - Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S74625560 - Comments: "About 8' long, larger than the group of Sanderlings that it was with. Long, black downcurved bill, distinctive white supercilium, gray wash across upper breast with tinges of brown, back, and upper and lower scapulars are scaly in appearance, black legs. Location approx. 150 yds south of UCSB Parking Lot 6 steps."
Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 10, 2020 07:37 by David Blue
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8713662&<ll...>,-119.8713662 - Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S74654037 - Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird at the east pond bridge, first reported this fall by Libby Patten on September 20, 2020. Distinguished from nearby Cassin’s Kingbirds by its lighter gray head, longer black bill, greenish back, and brighter yellow belly which came higher up on the breast."
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) (1)
- Reported Oct 06, 2020 11:08 by Eric Heisey
- Santa Cruz Island--Prisoners Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.6821404&<ll...>,-119.6821404 - Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S74649183 - Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "A tentative report for now until I get the photos loaded onto my computer and I can study the bird in more depth. Associating with a female LAZB. A molting male. This bird showed blue streaking in the belly and dusky undertail coverts, both of which should indicate that the individual was not a pure LAZB. The wing bars were also not very strong/white, rather dull and buffy. It is going to be difficult to eliminate a hybrid on this bird I suspect, although I think a hybrid would be even rarer for what it’s worth. Attached is a back-of-camera photo, I’ll upload my other photos and study this more closely when I return to Washington."
You received this message because you are subscribed to eBird's Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert