Date: 10/10/20 4:49 pm
From: Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] various observations, Santa Ynez Valley
The DARK-LORED WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW is sticking around in my Solvang
backyard and today I managed a somewhat Flickr-able photo:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/van_dam/50447765566/

Jim Moore recommended to me this recent webinar "Subspecies of
White-crowned Sparrow" by Jon Dunn and Kimball Garrett:
https://www.losangelesbirders.org/webinars/white_crowned_sparrows.html
<https://www.losangelesbirders.org/webinars/white_crowned_sparrows.html>
In the end I'm filing this individual as an "oriantha", as I don't see any
evidence that this is the much less likely "leucophrys" subspecies.

Other bird developments in Santa Ynez Valley this past week: I'm seeing a
definite uptick in CASSIN'S KINGBIRDS, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, and WESTERN
BLUEBIRDS. Slightly above average Solvang birds today were: PINE SISKIN,
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, LARK SPARROW, and WESTERN TANAGER.

The Golden Gate Raptor Observatory is still seeing good numbers of
Broad-winged Hawks, so I haven't given up on those yet for this season.

Wim

View/Reply Online (#31217): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/31217
-=-=-
-=-=-