Date: 10/3/20 1:55 pm
From: Dave Compton <davcompton60...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Saturday south coast birding
Today, I birded La Mesa Park and the Riviera Park area in Santa Barbara,
and the LogMeIn complex off Hollister in western Goleta. The best I could
come up with was a BLACKPOLL WARBLER that came to the Riviera Park
reflecting pool at about 9:30am.

I started at La Mesa Park, which is still pretty birdy, but had a poor
variety of migrants, almost all of which were in lerpy eucs in the southern
part of the park and east along Shoreline Dr., near Washington School.
Other than Yellow Warblers and Yellow-rumped Warblers, and small groups of
Vaux's Swifts flying east, there were almost no other migrants.

The variety was greater at Riviera Park, which also had lots of Yellows and
Yellow-rumps, but also had the Blackpoll, a couple of Black-throated Grays,
Wilson's and Orange-crowneds, and a Nashville spotted by Andrea and Mario.
There were also a few Western Tanagers and single Black-headed Grosbeak, a
species that has been strangely scarce this fall in the area. Overall, this
area is still really birdy. Despite several people walking around the area
quite a bit, I didn't hear of anyone seeing the Blackpoll, except for the
one time at the reflecting pool/fountain.

At LogMeIn, the number of migrants has dropped in the past week, but there
are still decent numbers in the central part of the complex, where there
were Yellows, Wilson's, Townsend's, Orange-crowneds, and some others. Twice
during my visit, I heard what sounded like a Pacific Wren, which would be
an odd bird to get here. Since I heard the vocalizations 20 minutes apart
in different parts of the complex, I suspect one was moving around, looking
for suitable habitat. But I could never nail the bird down. I last heard
the vocalization in the far northwest, in a low hedge that provided dense
cover near the ground.

Dave Compton
Santa Barbara

View/Reply Online (#31161): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/31161