Date: 10/1/20 2:12 pm
From: Teale Fristoe <fristoe...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] White winged dove at ucsb north campus open space
Hello,

I just found a white winged dove. It flew into a pine
around 34.420864,-119.877129. it's been in the same place for several
minutes but is difficult to see. I first saw it as it flew over the channel
where its wing patches were obvious. I have diagnostic photos I'll post
later.

I came out to see the pectoral sandpiper which continues. There's also a
Baird's sandpiper associating with the western sandpipers. I haven't seen
the tropical kingbird yet.

Happy autumn,
Teale Fristoe
Visiting from Berkeley

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020, 9:41 AM Rob Denholtz <robdenholtz...> wrote:

> I’m posting to ask for comments on a Red-shouldered Hawk I saw today on
> Gobernador Canyon Rd., in Carp. I had long, close-up looks at this
> particularly beautiful bird as it fed on the ground and flew to a near-by
> tree. Its entire breast and belly was *unstreaked mahogany*. Its upper
> back, also, was mahogany streaked with black. Its lower back was the usual
> speckled appearance. The tail had the expected thin white terminal band
> and a broad black sub-terminal. It was the pure mahogany front that seemed
> unusual.
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob Denholtz