Date: 9/27/20 5:25 pm
From: Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Curlew sandpiper: duration of visit so far
You can have a look at the more recent records that have been submitted to
the California Bird Records Committee and see how long other Curlew
Sandpiper stayed around (answer: not much):
https://www.californiabirds.org/queryDatabase.asp?species=curlew+sandpiper&county=&STARTDATE=&enddate=&partial=on&sort=date

Our current one is indeed a remarkably long staying individual. Especially
given that it is fall.

Wim

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 5:01 PM Florence Sanchez via groups.io
<sanchezucsb11...> wrote:

> I was thrilled to read that the Curlew Sandpiper is still present. It
> has been seen every day since Sept. 16th, making today's date Day 13. If
> it shows up again tomorrow, it will complete 2 full weeks here. That is
> remarkable.
>
> I have had discussions with a couple of birders about why this bird is
> staying so long. Someone suggested that perhaps the Sandpiper made one
> long trans-Pacific flight before landing here and thus is sticking around
> to build up its strength before continuing on. Along those lines, another
> birder suggested that the bird might be so disoriented that it thinks here
> is where it's supposed to be. We will never now of course, but it's
> intriguing to try to figure out.
>
> I've wondered that because the food supply is so good on its favorite
> beach, there may be no reason to leave. However, Mark Holmgren reminded me
> that changing currents and wave patterns sometimes wipe out all the kelp
> wrack on this beach. If that happens while the Curlew Sandpiper is still
> here, it might decide to finally move on. We will have to wait and see.
>
> Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#31109): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/31109
-=-=-
-=-=-