Date: 9/27/20 5:01 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Curlew sandpiper: duration of visit so far
I was thrilled to read that the Curlew Sandpiper is still present.   It has been seen every day since Sept. 16th, making today's date Day 13.  If it shows up again tomorrow, it will complete 2 full weeks here.  That is remarkable.
I have had discussions with a couple of birders about why this bird is staying so long.  Someone suggested that perhaps the Sandpiper made one long trans-Pacific flight before landing here and thus is sticking around to build up its strength before continuing on.  Along those lines, another birder suggested that the bird might be so disoriented that it thinks here is where it's supposed to be.  We will never now of course, but it's intriguing to try to figure out.
I've wondered that because the food supply is so good on its favorite beach, there may be no reason to leave.  However, Mark Holmgren reminded me that changing currents and wave patterns sometimes wipe out all the kelp wrack on this beach.  If that happens while the Curlew Sandpiper is still here, it might decide to finally move on.  We will have to wait and see.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#31108): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/31108
-=-=-
-=-=-