Date: 9/24/20 2:56 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Lompoc Gulls
I looked for Lesser Black-backed Gull at SYRE at midmorning but had no success.  Other birders had checked a flock of gulls on the beach before I got there and felt it was not present, but a dog had apparently scattered the flock before they were through looking.  The gulls headed upstream, perhaps to the landfill.
Wes, thanks for this post.  I am not familiar with this location and unfortunately was not able to read your post until I got home.  Please let us know if you find the gull.  If it doesn't turn up, I want to bird elsewhere tomorrow.
Thanks,Florence Sanchez
PS--because of the cut of the river on its way out, if you want to walk out to the river mouth you may get your feet wet at one point where the bank is steep.

On Thursday, September 24, 2020, 12:12:49 PM PDT, Wes Fritz via groups.io <wes-fritz...> wrote:

SB Birders,

There are better than 300 Western Gulls on Bailey Road about 200 yards south of W. Ocean Ave. some are bathing in a puddle from am irrigation pipe. This could be a good place to try to refind the Lesser Black-backed Gull. In This fairly large bunch of loafing gulls are at least 12 California’s and one Glaucous-winged Gull, a few Turkey Vultures and crows. The gulls are coming and going from the dump.
  I’m headed out to SYRE. If there is any birds of interest I will post.

Good birding.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
<wes-fritz...>