Date: 9/16/20 3:15 am
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] What comes after... (auiz)
Here comes the "can't sleep" birder, with a quiz.

We used to know the general order of birds on the checklist. It began with
the loons and grebes, then the herons and egrets, the waterfowl, raptors,
grouse, rails, plovers, sandpipers, gulls, terns, seabirds, swifts and
nightjars, owls, doves, hummingbirds, kingfisher, woodpeckers.
flycatchers..and ended with the house sparrow.

Then it went to herons first; the falcons were moved behind the woodpeckers;
stilt and avocet were moved; snipe too. Where'd they put the Horned Lark,
the pipits, the waxwings?

Now we have another new order. If you have an electornic field guide, you
just type in a few letters and it will take you to the bird you want. But
if you are trying to find your bird on a new checklist by searching
manually, how do you navigate? Old brains need to be retrained.

So, without looking, answer this: On the official Oregon Checklist, what
species comes after.(no peeking)

Whooper Swan

Ruddy Duck

Clark's Grebe

Broad-tailed Hummingbird

Snowy Plover

Western Sandpiper

Lesser Yellowlegs

Greater Yellowlegs

Red Phalarope

Elegant Tern

Yellow-billed Loon

Brown Pelican

White-faced Ibis

N Saw-whet Owl

Pileated Woodpecker

Red-eyed Vireo

Common Raven

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Varied Thrush

Phainopepla

Sprague's Pipit

Brambling

Rustic Bunting

Eastern Towhee

Yellow-headed Blackbird

Scott's Oriole

Great-tailed Grackle

Painted Redstart

Western Tanager

Painted Bunting

Perfect score: 30

Answers here:
https://oregonbirding.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/checklistaugust2020.pdf

I'll post the answers in a couple days when the smoke clears.

Paul Sullivan

Join us on Facebook!