Date: 9/15/20 10:06 pm
From: 'Judith Belden' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Smoke birding question for the experts
In addition, I've been wondering if the terrible air quality is having a negative effect.
Judy Belden

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 9:28:28 PM PDT, Anne Spence <aspencerrt...> wrote:

9/15/20Was curious if a more expert birder, "ornithological/scientific-type" mind would be willing totry an answer a question:
Since California has really never seen these types of fires & huge clouds of smoke that "wipe the coastland off the map," what do you think these clouds will do to migrating bird flocks?
I've read the Audubon's internet article about how birds will react to fires.  The article didn't really answer what the birds would do if they've already been migrating.
If they can't see the moon while flying or sky while flying at night how can they navigate? Will they just stay in place until the smoke clears completely? Or move a little at a time?
Hope this isn't a stupid question..Weather WestAudubon.org

Thanks,
Anne Spence