Date: 9/15/20 8:27 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Mount Watatic (15 Sep 2020) 397 Raptors

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 15:51:44 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Mount Watatic (15 Sep 2020) 397 Raptors

Merlin 1 10 10
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 1 1
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 2 7 9

Total: 397 1274 1295

Observation start time: 07:30:00 Observation end time: 15:30:00 Total
observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Brian Rusnica

Observers: Tim Mowry

Visitors:
Tim Mowry, Billy Hickey, John Jones & guest.

Weather:
An unforgettable day weather-wise, as the cloudless sky was not blue, but
colorless or pale brown for much of the day. Smoke residue from the west
coast hung in the air over much of New England. Winds were light from the N
early, and then light from the SW after noon EDT. While the haze didn't
necessarily affect air quality, the bright skies seemed to make picking
distant birds off the horizon a bit tougher than usual. Morning temps in
the 40s required jackets and gloves on the Watatic summit.
Raptor Observations:
Solid morning flight with the positive wind conditions. Broad-winged Hawks
kettled nicely for us near the mountain early, getting altitude slowly and
working their way south. Our flight slowed down at 1pm EDT and tapered off
weakly. Our largest group was 42 Broad-wings and they were kind enough to
kettle right overhead at the summit.
We had another decent Bald Eagle and Osprey flight, and a spectacular look
at a juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk that came low in over the watch.
Non-migrant raptors:
Turkey Vulture 15
Bald Eagle 4
Red-tailed Hawk 2

Non-raptor Observations:
An incredible number of Common Ravens today, estimated at 55. We had 25 in
flight well seen in a single scan to the North and West, and then a second
large Eastern group on the other side of the mountain just an hour later.

Predictions:
Some sites to the North of us had monster days today, which is always
promising. However, tomorrow's wind forecast forecast is moderate from the
SW, getting stronger throughout the day. Perhaps some early action, but
likely a tough day to expect big numbers.
Report submitted by Brian Rusnica (<brian_rusnica...>)
Mount Watatic information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=229

Join us on Facebook!