Date: 9/15/20 6:55 pm
From: Dave Hyde <pink-beam...>
Subject: RE: [cobirds] Hawk i.d. Storm Mountain, Larimer Cty
Thank you all for your suggestions. I accept the pale Red-tail, possible Krider’s hawk (even though looking at the photo I thought there’s no way this can be a Red-tail: white head, white rump, barred tail!). But there is more to the story of this pale red-tail. I was looking out the kitchen window and the bird flew up from below the window, which is when I saw its tail. I got to thinking, what would any large hawk be doing on the ground outside my window? So I went and looked on the ground there for any signs of avian mayhem. And I found … a complete wing of a Yellow-rumped warbler! There were no excess feathers or body anywhere although I later found the other wing, also intact. Whatever had got this warbler – and it may not have been this hawk as the wing feathers were only slightly supple as if the bird had died yesterday or early in the morning – had clipped off its wings and carried off the body! In fact, I had the impression that the pale hawk had something in its grasp as it landed atop the tree because it looked down at its feet when it alit. I dunno, this was certainly a strange hawk encounter. Here’s a photo of one of the warbler wings, and thank you all again for your advice – Dave

[cid:<image003.jpg...>]