Date: 9/15/20 6:46 pm
From: Rick Vetter <cotingas...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Juncos return
Juncos returned Sunday to Burns and a spotted towhee on Monday showed up at the backyard water feature which is attracting a lot of birds lately.

California quail are starting to eat the kale and tomatoes from 42 plants, a sign of fall. Ten plants are for them, rest for us.

No rain in Burns, but possibly Friday with a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms and maybe relief from the smoke.

Visibility today 3-5 miles and air quality improved to 125 from a high of about 300 a few day ago. Visibility was at .5 miles on the worst day. Still have an inversion. Ash was landing in Burns from west side fires over 200 miles away ! A mask is a must in these conditions but most people here not wearing them.

New fire SE of Burns near Venator today, but small.

Smokey Safe birding,

Rick

Sent from my iPhone
Rick Vetter <cotingas...>
Phone 541-589-2230
“Even the worst handwritten notes are better than the best memory or technology”
Sergej Postupalsky, eagle researcher

> On Sep 15, 2020, at 2:54 PM, larspernorgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
>
> A few raindrops hit my windshield in North Plains at 6:30-7 last night. When l got home l checked a radar image which showed showers but evidently not as far south as Alsea Bay. Most of the Juncos were on the roof of my one story house. High winds last Monday blew stuff out of the adjacent Dfirs onto the shingles.
> A minute or two later Chestnut backed Chickadees and Red-breasted Nuthatches appeared. I heard some Black-throated Gray Warblers and Robin. Quite sullen since.
> We generally take Robins for granted, sometimes to the point of disdain. But as the years go by I've noticed how scarce common species are at the local level sometimes. There's a good crop of fruit on the native dogwoods . I hadn't detected Robins here for weeks. If past experience repeats the Robin's will disappear from my foothill retreat around All Saints' Day and not return until the last week of February.
> Times like this remind us of the great comfort afforded by the quotidian.

Join us on Facebook!