Date: 9/15/20 6:24 pm
From: Joe Kipper <joe.kipper28...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Hawk i.d. Storm Mountain, Larimer Cty
Yes, this is a definite juvenile Red-tailed. When I see birds like this in
the field I don't really take note of the field marks like a should I just
say "this is a Red-tailed because of the GISS," but this is a good
opportunity to note the field marks since Osprey and Ferruginous Hawk were
suggested. This bird is paler individual so it doesn't have the "helmeted"
appearance that most adults and some very dark juveniles have. The "three
points of white" field mark is a field mark that is useful when looking at
the dorsal side of soaring buteos. Because this bird is perched, you can't
even see the "wrists" mentioned by Caleb that would be white on a Ferrug.
White speckling on the scapulars is another field mark of RTHA. Adult
Ferrug would have orangish back with steel-blue primaries and juvenile
Ferrug would have a uniform brown back. Unfeathered legs are also a huge
field mark, thank you Todd D.
Good Birding everyone! In a few months we will have plenty of opportunities
to study the many buteos that winter here and their endless myriad of
unique color morphs and plumages.
Joe Kipper,
Fort Collins