Date: 9/15/20 5:48 pm
From: Jack Chiles <dmarc-noreply-outsider...> (Redacted sender chilesjack for DMARC)
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR, 09-15-20
The morning was quite pleasant with light winds. We started out our census today a bit different, taking the road behind the maintenance buildings leading to Raasch Trail. That turned out to be a great choice because after crossing the creek we came upon a large group of feeding birds. The first bird to catch our attention was a Pileated Woodpecker that lit in a Hackberry tree and proceeded to feed on the berries of the tree. There were also Eastern Bluebirds and House Finches in the tree. Then nearby a White-breasted Nuthatch flew in. It was a good day for Pileated Woodpeckers with a count of 4. We finished the day with a count of 24 Wood Ducks most of which were sitting on the dike at Mineral Marsh. We once again saw the immature Black-crowned Night-Heron at Deaver Pond along with a Red-headed Woodpecker and an Olive-sided Flycatcher. There was a pair of Belted Kingfishers at Meadow Pond. We saw two warblers today, one a Nashville Warbler on the way to Meadow Pond and a Yello
w-throated Warbler sitting on, of all places an oil tank on Terry Lane. We saw 6 Wild Turkeys on Short Road. The resident Bald Eagles were seen earlier in the day on the pads but we missed them. Shorebirds that we saw were, 3 American Avocets, 36 Killdeer, 38 Least Sandpipers, 16 Pectoral Sandpipers, 14 Long-billed Dowitchers, 2 Spotted Sandpipers and 2 Greater Yellowlegs. We finished the day with 61 species.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S73637400
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!