Date: 9/15/20 5:30 pm
From: peter thomas via groups.io <prthomas1...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Pine Valley mega hummer feeders
Addendum:
Millie and I have visited this site sporadically over a number of years. Time of year, of course, make such a difference. The owners have always beenvery welcoming and encouraging. They put a lot of effort into keeping the seed and the hummingbird feeders full.
May I suggest that when you visit that you consider bringing a bag of seeds, a bag of sugar, or plan to leave a monetary gift to thank them for theirwillingness to welcome all of us?
My opinion.
Peter Thomas

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 01:11:34 PM PDT, <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> wrote:

I am sorry to inform you that we have all been missing out on a GREAT
opportunity to study hummingbirds, and likely find rare species, for
many, many years now at Pine Valley. A nice house with very friendly
owners has a bank of ca. 10 feeders all clustered together on their
outside deck, clearly visible from the main road. Exit 1-8 at the Pine
Valley exit and drive north to the village at the stop sign at Old
Highway 80. Turn left (west) and go less than 2/10 of a mile, and on
your right is the obvious SD Co. Sheriff's Substation. Directly across
the road, on your left, is the nice house with the very nice yard (nice
plantings, lush green lawn, gazebos). Park along the main road there,
where you can easily see the feeders, although if you stay there along
the roadside (plenty of room) you will absolutely need to use a scope to
be able to ID many of the birds! However, if the homeowners see you
standing there, they will very likely invite you into the yard, or try
flagging them down to get permission. Obviously do not stand in the yard
unless you get permission. I was there today in the late morning, on my
way home from Jacumba, and there were easily 80 hummers coming and
going, and the homeowner told me, "You should have been here all during
August until a week ago, as we had over 200 birds swarming the feeders."
Yes, we should have been regularly visiting this site during at least
May-October for many years now.  (The homeowner told me, however, that
San Diego Audubon Society periodically has had groups visit over the
years...) Anyway, we can all dream about the Calliopes, Broad-tailed(s),
or maybe some southeast Arizona canyon rarity that have been there over
the years.... Most of the birds today were Anna's, 2-3 Rufous/Allen's,
and there were still 10+ Black-chinneds including one surprising, late
ADULT MALE. I would assume the Black-chinned count was through the roof
back in August. And diagonally across the road from there is Pine Valley
County Park, which is an excellent place at this time of year to see
numbers of Lawrence's Goldfinches (a few were in their yard as well).

Highlights at Jacumba in the early morning today (15 Sep) included a
Clay-colored Sparrow (in town), Green-tailed Towhee, Cassin's Kingbird
(east edge of range), still 20+ Black-chinned Hummingbirds at feeders, a
few Lawrence's Goldfinches, just a few Tricolored Blackbirds flying by,
and a so-so number of various landbird migrants scattered about.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#11104): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/11104
-=-=-
---
Please join us at the monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month. Location subject to change, so for the most up-to-date info, look for the most recent meeting announcement. Guests welcome, but membership encouraged for only $25 a year.
---
-=-=-

Join us on Facebook!