Date: 9/15/20 5:25 pm
From: John Stith <john.stith...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] any research on migrant traps?
Well I experimented with this by trying a park that's not an eBird Hotspot,
to see if I could identify an unknown migrant trap. I looked at terrain
maps for my area and picked Cheverly Nature Park. It's on a significant
hill I can see from my house five miles away, and it has an east-facing
forested slope.

I was there at sunrise this morning and did not see that much movement. I
doubt it was any more birdy than anywhere else this morning. There is a lot
of highway noise there. Might that be another factor in migrant traps -- do
they choose places with less human noise? The hazy light this morning
didn't help either; there was no sunlight hitting the top of the trees. I
moved on to Euclid Street Park in Cheverly around 8 a.m. and did see a few
different warblers there, but they moved so fast I could only identify a
common yellowthroat among them.

I did hear one call at Cheverly Nature Park that might be a life bird for
me. Is the attached recording definitely a rose-breasted grosbeak, or are
there other calls this could be?

Thanks!
John Stith
Chillum, Md.