Date: 9/15/20 5:18 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (15 Sep 2020) 726 Raptors

Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 726 14314 14314

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagné

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
We appreciate all the interest in the tower and the hawk watch but remind
everyone that the tower remains closed to members of the public and has a
three-person limit reserved for the Hawk Counters. Thank you to all who are
respecting these precautions. Be safe everyone!

Weather:
A very pleasant day on the tower, with temperatures in the mid-twenties in
the afternoon. The winds blew from the South and South-West all day,
pushing most migrants North of us. Our clear sky disappeared as the
barometer dropped steadily throughout the day, and we were left with a hazy
gray sky.

Raptor Observations:
After counting 11,000 yesterday, anything lower than a 1,000 seems a little
disappointing. However, we still had a successful day counting 726 raptors!
A few kettles of Broad-winged Hawks were spotted in the morning, but all
were very far to the North of the tower, and eventually were too far to see
even with scopes. We're hoping our friends across the border managed to
catch them!
Thankfully, Sharp-shinned Hawks and American Kestrels flew in to liven our
spirits. We also counted 5 Merlins zipping across the marsh along with 7
Northern Harriers.

Non-raptor Observations:
Blue Jays have started their migration as we counted 197 individuals
sneaking silently across the marsh.
At the base of the tower, we counted 19 species of warblers, something for
everyone! We were also happy to see our first White-throated Sparrow of the
season as well as 2 Purple Finches.
Our other major migrant, with 255 individuals, was the Monarch Butterfly!
Steadily they flew across the tower and over the marsh, and we wish the
little migrants good luck on their long journey.
Full ebird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S73647342

Predictions:
We are expecting a hot day tomorrow with winds blowing from the South-West
all day. These winds will give us a nice breeze but won't bring us too many
birds. We're hoping to see the same variety as right now; Sharp-shinned
Hawks, American Kestrels, and Northern Harriers, and still good numbers.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagné (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<1389dc45f8cb231844be9b92b449cfe2...>