Date: 9/15/20 4:30 pm
From: Kent Forward via groups.io <kforward...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Warblers & More on Purisima Creek Road 9/15/2020
Good Afternoon Birders,
With smoke finally clearing out and skies that are showing some blue now along the coast I went in search of insectivore flocks on my lunch break. Right after getting out of my car at the lower Purisima Creek Redwoods OSP parking lot, I noticed a large flock of insectivores in the trees over the creek on the other side of Purisima Creek Road. Turned out to be a huge flock, moving somewhat quickly downstream. I was able to follow it for almost 30 minutes about 1/2 mile down the road!  There must have been at least several dozen TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS, also noted in the flock were WILSON'S WARBLERS, BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS, YELLOW WARBLERS, and a lovely adult male HERMIT WARBLER that really stood out. Also several WARBLING VIREOS as well as a CASSIN'S VIREO popped up for a brief glimpse!
On Sunday while birding the fields just south of the pond on Verde Road I saw a LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE working the field.  Later in the day while driving past Pescadero Marsh on Hwy 1 I noticed an AMERICAN AVOCET foraging (north pond), very unusual to see this species on the coastside:https://ebird.org/checklist/S73566559

Good Birding All,Kent ForwardEl Granada