Date: 9/15/20 4:03 pm
From: Al Eisner via groups.io <eisner...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Names Of Sites
On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, Frank Vanslager via groups.io wrote:

> All:
>
> I wasn't bickering about a site name.  I hope most of you understood that I was trying to point out to everyone, that if you want to see what people have posted on eBird at Grant Ranch, you have to put in the name Joseph D. Grant County Park.  As far as I know, the other names do not work.
>
> Frank Vanslager

The hotspot search engine at eBird is one of eBird's biggest weaknesses.
You can find the park by entering "Grant", but then you will be given a
list of a couple of hundred hotspots to look through. But it will not
accept Joseph Grant (without the D., or even with just D instead of D.)
And it cannot see that "Rd." and "Road" are equivalent. So I agree
Frank's message was useful. (I also see a value in continuity of
names, but I won't get into that, given Chuq's post.)

Al Eisner

View/Reply Online (#22428): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/22428
-=-=-

-=-=-