Date: 9/15/20 2:16 pm
From: Jim Yurchenco <bird.jry...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Coe Fire Damage
Mike,

My understanding is that Black-chinned Sparrows, in this part of California at least, prefer relatively recently burned chaparral for nesting habitat. This has been true for the few BCSP that Amy and I have seen in Coe and nearby surrounding areas over the past 35 years. We have always found them in areas where there was evidence of burns in the previous half-dozen years or so.

I have not yet seen any detailed burn intensity maps for the park yet, but they were published following the 2007 Lick Fire. I assume they will be again for this fire.

James

> On Sep 15, 2020, at 1:52 PM, Mike Ambrose <mikeambrose920...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for sharing the report, it's great news that the fires were overall positive for the park (as it should be). I wonder about the Black-chinned Sparrow habitat around Bear Mountain Rd - do you know if it was hit by fires?
>
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 1:34 PM Jim Yurchenco <bird.jry...> <mailto:<bird.jry...>> wrote:
> For those who are interested, here is a link to an illustrated report on the recent fire at Henry Coe State Park.
>
> https://coepark.net/ponderosa <https://coepark.net/ponderosa>
>
> Executive Summary: good news.
>
> Long term damage is minimal, especially with no damage to the Ponderosa Pines on Blue and other ridges. Overall, the mostly low intensity burn was good for the park as it reduced fuel loads preventing possible future high intensity burns. The burn was a mosaic that left substantial refugia for birds and other wildlife.

View/Reply Online (#22421): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/22421
-=-=-

-=-=-
Group Owner: southbaybirds+<owner...>