Date: 9/15/20 2:07 pm
From: Thomas Gilde <theglide...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Lake Bde Maka Ska Gulls
Having turned right onto Gary St as I was heading south (west?) on US 10 in Elk River I am looking east over Lake Orono and seeing three mudflats occupied by at least 500 gulls, mostly Franklins and Ring-billed. There may be a few gems among them but I don’t have the expertise or patience to provide any more information. Given the numbers of birds I saw this morning on the east (north?) side of the Hwy 10 bridge, the gulls number in the four figures. I’m not sure how safe it would be to turn left to get to the boat landing if you’re heading towards St. Paul but dropping off on Gary St. is a good option if that’s your direction.

Tom Gilde

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 15, 2020, at 9:59 AM, Tony Lau <tony...> wrote:
>
> Lake Orono is in drawdown, that is the spot that Thomas is talking about. You can view the lake from many spots on the south side of hwy 10, including a park that has a boat launch.
> 18583 Gary St
> 18583 Gary St, Elk River, MN 55330
> https://maps.app.goo.gl/8jZDbxCdXeypgoiLA
>
> Tony Lau
> Otsego
>
>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020, 9:36 AM Thomas Gilde <theglide...> wrote:
>> Passing through Elk River in the way to the Royalton trailhead of the Lake Wobegon bike trail I noticed ample mudflats on the river as I was crossing it north of/on the north side of town. These flats were absolutely covered with gulls.
>>
>> I’d like to stop and have a look this afternoon upon my return. If anyone knows how to get down to river I’d appreciate any guidance - one can’t stop on the bridge to observe them. Hopefully I’ll rub into a kindly gull expert who would be willing to tell me what I’m looking at.
>>
>> Tom Gilde
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> > On Sep 14, 2020, at 8:04 PM, MOU <mou...> wrote:
>> >
>> > (Posted by Chet A. Meyers <chetmeyers0...> via moumn.org)
>> >
>> > It's that time of year again for gull watchers. Gulls are massing on
>> > Bde Maka Ska with the expected mix of herring, ring-billed and
>> > Franklins, maybe more. Too far distant tonight. Stay tuned.
>> > Chet Meyers
>> >
>> > ----
>> > Archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html
>> >
>> > During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.
>>
>> ----
>> Archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html
>>
>> During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

----

During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

Join us on Facebook!