Date: 9/15/20 2:00 pm
From: Ian Worley <iworley...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] BOBWHITE!
Hi all,

Bobwhites submitted to eBird when observed in Vermont are retained in
eBird in the birder's database.  There they can be viewed and used by
persons for all sorts purposes.  Primarily they are used by eBird
reviewers and researchers who have eBird approval.  But anyone can have
access to those data, though it may be a bit complicated to do so.
Because Bobwhites are not a breeding population here at this time, those
records are not used in eBird's public displays such as distribution
maps, graphs, various lists, and so on.  "Acceptance" in the sense that
Maeve describes it, means not accepted for use in eBird's public outputs.

Good Autumn birding to all ....

Ian
-------------
eBird reviewer for the Champlain Valley of Vermont

On 9/15/2020 4:26 PM, Maeve Kim wrote:
> E-bird is a huge data base maintained by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, with millions of people reporting every day what birds they’re seeing, all over the world. It has become an important source of data about population trends, migration paths, etc. It’s free to join up, and I strongly encourage everyone to do so! - One caveat: After firing off my first quick note, I realized that the Bobwhite is likely an escapee from a game farm and probably won’t be accepted on eBird. There was one here in Jericho several years ago, on the Green, on my roof top, and along Fitzsimonds Road. I reported it to eBird and several other people did, but I don’t think it’s listed there.
> For a short period, there might have been a tiny breeding population of Bobwhite in the Champlain Islands, near a game farm, but I think they’ve died out.
> Migration - Always Fun!
> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center
>
>> On Sep 15, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Leslie Nulty <lenulty84...> wrote:
>>
>> What's ebird - something other than the listserve? Yeah - that bird was so
>> distinctive there's no mistaking what it was....I'm hoping he was there
>> because under my encouragement/pressure Tim has not mown the back pasture.
>> I told him it was in hopes we could get Bobolinks.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 4:05 PM Maeve Kim <maevulus...> wrote:
>>
>>> That’s a very unusual sighting, Leslie! Did you put it on ebird?
>>> Congratulations on seeing this bird!
>>> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

>> --
>> Best regards,