Date: 9/15/20 1:55 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Juncos return
A few raindrops hit my windshield in North Plains at 6:30-7 last night. When l got home l checked a radar image which showed showers but evidently not as far south as Alsea Bay. Most of the Juncos were on the roof of my one story house. High winds last Monday blew stuff out of the adjacent Dfirs onto the shingles.A minute or two later Chestnut backed Chickadees and Red-breasted Nuthatches appeared. I heard some Black-throated Gray Warblers and  Robin. Quite sullen since.       We generally take Robins for granted, sometimes to the point of disdain. But as the years go by I've noticed how scarce common species are at the local level sometimes. There's a good crop of fruit on the native dogwoods . I hadn't detected Robins here for weeks. If past experience repeats the Robin's will disappear from my foothill retreat around All Saints' Day and not return until the last week of February.       Times like this remind us of the great comfort afforded by the quotidian. Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...> Date: 9/15/20 12:14 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <larspernorgren...> Cc: <obol...> Subject: Re: [obol] Juncos return While our skies mostly cleared of smoke and fog yesterday afternoon no moisture appears to have fallen yet on the central and south Lincoln County coast. Most of the peeps I saw at Sandpiper Village in yesterday’s fog and smoke where gone when I returned under clear skies in the afternoon but I did find this pair of short-billed dowitchers taking a break. Roy LoweWaldport, OROn Sep 15, 2020, at 11:06 AM, larspernorgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:Juncos nest at my house in the forest 25 miles northwest of Portland so l never stop seeing them over the summer. One or two pairs from April til now. I just stepped into the garden to check the air and two dozen Juncos made themselves evident. Indisputable evidence of Summer's progression. A few drops of water on the kale are evidence that the rain on coastal Lincoln and Tillamook Counties made it here as well, if only in principal.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!