Date: 9/15/20 1:47 pm
From: 'Rob Woodward' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] 464 raptors - Morse Preserve - Alton
Now I'm satisfied.  I found my own hawk watch site where I can count them by the hundreds.  And not much need for social distancing - I'm lucky if I see 15 people all day.  Even though winds were southerly all day, lots of hawks were moving south, some flapping hard into the wind.  It was that rare day when there was not a cloud in the sky all day, but that is not the best thing for hawk watching.  Many birds disappeared into  the void of the empty sky.  From 9 to 3 here's what I saw:
Broad-winged Hawk - 445 - two kettles of 50; not many counted after1:00 pmBald Eagle - 3 - the last one at 3:00 was drifting northAmerican Kestrel - 4 - they zoom in at eye levelMerlin - 1 - attacked a kestrelOsprey - 5Red-tailed Hawk - 4Cooper's Hawk - 1Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1unidentified - 5
On the way up and at the top the first White-throated Sparrows and juncos of the season appeared.

Rob Woodward
Laconia, NH