Date: 9/15/20 1:26 pm
From: Maeve Kim <maevulus...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] BOBWHITE!
E-bird is a huge data base maintained by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, with millions of people reporting every day what birds they’re seeing, all over the world. It has become an important source of data about population trends, migration paths, etc. It’s free to join up, and I strongly encourage everyone to do so! - One caveat: After firing off my first quick note, I realized that the Bobwhite is likely an escapee from a game farm and probably won’t be accepted on eBird. There was one here in Jericho several years ago, on the Green, on my roof top, and along Fitzsimonds Road. I reported it to eBird and several other people did, but I don’t think it’s listed there.
For a short period, there might have been a tiny breeding population of Bobwhite in the Champlain Islands, near a game farm, but I think they’ve died out.
Migration - Always Fun!
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

> On Sep 15, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Leslie Nulty <lenulty84...> wrote:
>
> What's ebird - something other than the listserve? Yeah - that bird was so
> distinctive there's no mistaking what it was....I'm hoping he was there
> because under my encouragement/pressure Tim has not mown the back pasture.
> I told him it was in hopes we could get Bobolinks.
>
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 4:05 PM Maeve Kim <maevulus...> wrote:
>
>> That’s a very unusual sighting, Leslie! Did you put it on ebird?
>> Congratulations on seeing this bird!
>> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center
>>
>>> On Sep 15, 2020, at 4:03 PM, Leslie Nulty <lenulty84...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Male sitting by the side of Bolger Hill Rd, Jericho, yesterday, 10:30 am.
>>> First I've seen here in 20 years!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Leslie