Date: 9/15/20 1:17 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] SABINE'S GULL CONTINUES
Howdy, MBB Birders,

The juvenile SABINE’S GULL was at Paicines Reservoir this morning.

I was at the reservoir from 10:53 until 11:28 a.m. There was no fog, although it is still very hazy. I was able to pick out the gull in flight within seconds of parking at the Highway 25 pullout. I did not walk out along the levee. There was a lot of heat shimmer. So, it would be best to arriver earlier than I did if you want to count all of the water birds. The Ring-billed Gull may have been there, sitting on the water, but the heat shimmer made it too hard for me to be certain.

Here’s my checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S73639152 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S73639152>

The LEWIS’S WOODPECKER was on the third utility pole north of the parking area.

Just north of the intersection of Highway 25 and Panoche Road (J1), there are a number of elderberry shrubs about 10 feet tall. PHAINOPEPLA have been feeding on the berries.

In my previous post, I forgot to include our checklist from yesterday, September 14. We walked along the levee with permission from the Paicines Ranch owners. Photographs of the Sabine’s Gull and Ring-billed Gull are in this checklist.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S73596134 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S73596134>

If you visit the reservoir, please let us know if you see the Sabine’s Gull, or not.

Happy Trails,
Debi

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 44 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 23 June - 6 July 2020
Northeast Passage: Northern Sea Route 27 July - 22 August 2020