Date: 9/15/20 12:30 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (14 Sep 2020) 445 Raptors

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 09:01:30 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (14 Sep 2020) 445 Raptors

Peregrine Falcon 3 5 9
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 4 4
Unknown Falcon 0 2 3
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 2 12 15
Mississippi Kite 0 2 2

Total: 445 797 947

Observation start time: 08:00:00 Observation end time: 16:30:00 Total
observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Bill Rasku, Colleen Tank, Dave Brown, Eric Mueller,
Jack Miano, John Cannizzo, Judy Anthony, Kathy Olson,
Louise Outler, Mark Milnamow, Mark Morris, Matt Bollus,
Meghan Gately, Nancy Given, Paul Roberts, Susan Moses,
Ted Mara

Visitors:
Eyes on the skies: Paul Roberts, Dave Brown, Mark
Morris, Ted Mara, Colleen Tank, Bill Rasku, Wayne
Klockner, Eric Mueller, Susan Moses, Nancy Given,
John Cannizzo, Kathryn Chihowski, Bob Secatore, Kathy Olson, John Kolb,
John Stevens, Matt Bollus,
Meghan Gately, Mark Milnamow and Emily, Louise
Outler, Judy Anthony, Dan Leahy, Lisa Burwell and
probably others I missed? Visitors: Plenty of hikers and others who came up
to enjoy the views. Yes it is chillier above the
treeline and several groups shortened their
visits accordingly..

Weather:
Windspeed variably 5-15mph most of the day though gusts of 20+ mph blew
sporadically thru noon. Last
1 1/2 hours speed was 5-10mph. Wind from NW at
start, by noon from N before wandering back to NW from 3pm until the
end.. Visibility was a hazy 15 miles at 8am but as the
humidity decreased (70% at 8am to 40% at 2pm) the view was good for 20mi
at 10am and 30mi by noon.
Cloud cover 75% early but at 10am it reached 60% late morning and 40%
all afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
After a slow start the flyway gradually opened
up and sparked a nice push from 11am until 4pm.
A nice push of Broadwings was over 82% of todays
flight and nicely spiced up by the kestrels and
all. Birds passed on both east and west sides
of the platform -- excluding quite a few birds
that passed right over our platform. Also, many
raptors arrived and/or passed at great height.
Locals: TV 11; BE 7 (4 adult & 3 immature); CH 1;
RT 5, BW 2, ML 1.

Non-raptor Observations:
Non-raptor notes: Ravens 11 patrolling both the
airspace and the summit grounds; the normal crew
of Juncos, Towhees, a few Chimney Swifts, etc.
were around but our eyes were on the nice show
overhead! Monarchs 34.

Predictions:
Forecast: sunny with light N wind 7mph becoming
variable in the afternoon; temp low 60's.
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!